Sunday, December 6, 2009

Oh, Santa!


By 4pm I was dreading having to get bundled up to go see Santa at Pea Soup Andersons but I had to. C was so excited and asked me questions all day about Santa and his eight reindeer. How DOES Santa get into all of the tall buildings in a city? It IS impressive that the reindeer can balance a sleigh on a slanted roof. She wore her special red outfit that has a picture of a couple of reindeer and her white turtle neck so that it would look like snow. Oh, how I love that girl. I didn't even bother getting E dressed in anything festive, there is no way that boy would sit on some strangers lap! We fly in the door at 5pm (it started at 4:30pm) and as we rush up to see Santa, C cowers behind my legs. Now, you know I am patient and respectful of my children's feelings but I also knew that if we left without a picture of her on Santa's lap, she would be very bummed so I pulled the old, "If you don't go do this, we are leaving". It goes against everything I believe as a mom who wants to instill in her kids trust in their intuition when it comes to strangers. But, god damn it, I really didn't want to even come here, so she was getting it done! And all was fine, I sat with her (I'm cutting myself out of the pic) and she was SO stoked on the tiny little doll he gave her. BUT, Santa? What a cranky old fart! As I was putting C on his lap, he actually said, "Let's hurry this up"! The man did not crack a smile, barely acknowledged C and didn't ask her what she wanted for Christmas. Luckily, she was just so happy to finally see him in person and get the little doll from him, she didn't even notice. She is just enthralled with the magic of Santa and Christmas. However, this mama says, Santafail!

2 comments:

  1. On one hand, forever 'following your children' on these little things is probably counter-productive. It's not entirely evil to 'make 'em follow through' with stuff [you have to admit, this was pretty mild in the grand scheme of things.] Is it so horrible that the li'l muffins learn that there are consequences to their efforts?

    Oh, I loathe the modern usage of the word 'consequences' - I get [like it or not] Phil McGraw* piped through to the laptop every now and then [long story and not an entertaining one] and he has overused several words that have now entered the North American Lexicon of Idiot-Savants ['resources' is another one.]

    What I mean is really quite light-weight - on the level of 'Want ice-cream on a July afternoon at the SB pier?' - why, yes, Mommy, of course we do! It will melt fast, leave a mess you have to clean up, and might actually hurt their little heads [it does mine, so i avoid ice-cream]

    So, like I said, on the one hand, I cannot and will not castigate you for your follow through.

    On the other hand [yes, I have two, and sometimes even three!] a Rotten Santa is a Rotten Santa and a letter should be sent to the right people about it.

    Hell, I'm not jolly [or even pleasant!] but if my job [regardless of remuneration] was to 'act like Santa' - I'd do it. I wouldn't take the job if I didn't feel like I could.

    There's no excuse for a Rotten Santa.

    And that, my dear, is my soapbox for the nonce.

    Blargh!*

    R.

    * I will NOT call that dip 'Dr. Phil' - it insults my intelligence. Which is saying a lot.

    ** I'm a piratey sort of guy. It's no comment on your writing or blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love that you are reading it.

    I also detest Mr. McGraw.

    ReplyDelete